SHILLONG, MAY 19: Meghalaya will formally renew its agreement to host the 2027 National Games on May 30, when the Union Sports Minister visits Shillong for a two-day Eastern Zone meeting, Sports and Youth Affairs Minister Wailadmiki Shylla said Tuesday.
Shylla said the state received an intimation about the visit this week.
“Just yesterday I received a verbal message. I have not received any official communication in writing as of now, but according to the message, the Union Minister of Sports along with the Minister of State and other sports officials will be in Shillong on May 28,” he said.
The visit will coincide with a Bharat Group meeting for the Eastern Zone. “On May 28 and 29, there will be a meeting for the Bharat Group teams which are there in every state. This meeting will be for the Eastern Zone including all North Eastern states, West Bengal and Odisha,” Shylla said.
A Meghalaya delegation was in New Delhi last week to discuss the National Games agreement, which was first signed nearly eight years ago. “Last week, our team from Shillong went to Delhi to sit with the sports ministry regarding renewal of the agreement for hosting the National Games in 2027,” the minister said.
“There are some corrections to be made because it has been quite a long time. That is why we want to renew this agreement.”
Shylla said the Union Minister proposed signing the revised pact in Shillong. “When we spoke to them, the minister himself said it is better that we do it here in Shillong. So, that will happen on May 30,” he said.
He confirmed that an agreement is already in place but needs changes suggested by the Indian Olympic Association. “We have already signed the agreement but there are some corrections which are being made from the Indian Olympic Association (IOA),” he said.
Shylla said he was awaiting details from the team that visited Delhi. “I was not part of that meeting as my team from here went. Right now, they are preparing it, so in a few days we will get full details,” he said.
Giving an update on preparations, the minister said inspections have been positive. “Preparation is going well as of now. I am not just saying this as a sports minister but I am saying this after the many visits from the sports ministry and last time from IOA. Many people who came and visited and did the inspection on the site were also quite satisfied with our preparation right now,” he said.
On infrastructure, he added, “For different disciplines, there will be separate fields of play. Right now, we have sufficient numbers of grounds for indoor and other events and we even have backup grounds also.”
The state has earmarked Rs 600 crore for the Games and is seeking central assistance.
“The total budget we are looking into is Rs 600 crore. As of now, this will be from the state’s exchequer but we are pursuing it with the central ministry,” Shylla said. “I cannot say for sure. It depends on the central government, but as of now, we are going from the state fund.”

