-->

Assam-Meghalaya agree on 48-hour evacuation, joint mechanism after Shillong violence

Date:

Share post:

Guwahati, August 22:The Assam and Meghalaya governments on Saturday announced a series of joint measures, including dedicated helplines, permanent district-level coordination committees and a mechanism to ensure safe movement of tourists and vehicles, following the August 19 violence in Shillong.

The decisions were announced at a joint press meet addressed by Meghalaya Deputy Chief Minister Sniawbhalang Dhar and Assam Minister Atul Bora after a meeting between representatives of the two state governments at the Guwahati State Guest House.

A dedicated coordination mechanism will be established between the IG, Special Branch, Assam, and the IG, Law and Order, Meghalaya. Dedicated helplines and an online support forum will also remain operational to help locate individuals and assist stranded travellers until the situation returns to normal.

The WhatsApp helpline number is +91-810147888
The landline number is 0361-2381511.

The two states also agreed to constitute permanent district-level joint committees comprising Deputy Commissioners and police officers of corresponding ranks from neighbouring districts. These committees will address day-to-day issues arising along the Assam-Meghalaya border and seek to resolve them promptly.

Advertisement

A separate joint committee comprising senior transport officials from both states and representatives of tourist vehicle associations will be formed to facilitate tourist transport and safeguard the shared tourism interests of Assam and Meghalaya.

Both governments also agreed to ensure safe transit through their respective territories. This includes vehicles travelling from the Barak Valley and other southern parts of Assam to the rest of the state through Meghalaya, as well as people from Meghalaya travelling between different parts of the state through Assam.

The Meghalaya government reiterated that it would take responsibility for the safety and security of tourists and vehicles entering the state from Assam and other parts of the country.

The Meghalaya government informed the Assam delegation that the president, vice-president and general secretary of the Khasi Students’ Union (KSU) had been arrested under the Meghalaya Maintenance of Public Order Act.

Dhar said 15 FIRs have so far been registered in connection with the violence, while five persons identified in connection with attacks, particularly on Assam-registered vehicles, have been arrested.
A Special Investigation Team has also been constituted to identify others involved and initiate prosecution.

The two governments also reviewed the movement of stranded passengers and vehicles.

According to Dhar, more than 3,770 Assam-registered vehicles have already been safely escorted from Meghalaya into Assam.

Officials said most stranded travellers and around 400 to 500 vehicles have already crossed key transit stretches, including the Umiam area. Efforts are continuing to safely escort the remaining passengers and vehicles towards Assam over the next 48 hours.

Share post:

-->
spot_img

Popular

More like this
Related

Thung ka DGP ia ka SIT ban tohkit iaki kam thombor, thang kali, shoh briew bad ka bynta ka KSU

Shillong, Nailar 22 : Ka Tnad Meghalaya Police kala...

Dep ithuh ki Pulit ia 5 ngut ki riewtapkhmat ba thombor ia ki kali Assam ha ka rally KSU : DyCM

Shillong, Nailar 22 : U Symbud Myntri Rangbah ka...

Tam ka SDRF ia ka metiap u maji ba jah na Wahrew

Shillong, Nailar 22 : Ka kynhun State Disaster Response...