-->

Meghalaya CM cancels all foreign trips after PM’s austerity call, puts 7-8 new proposals on hold

Date:

Share post:

SHILLONG, MAY 28: Chief Minister Conrad K Sangma on Wednesday said his government has suspended all new foreign travel proposals and cancelled his own overseas visits in line with Prime Minister Narendra Modi’s recent austerity announcement.

Addressing concerns over official trips continuing despite the PM’s call, Sangma clarified that only programmes approved months earlier and cleared by the Centre were allowed to proceed.

“The programmes that had political as well as financial clearance before the Prime Minister’s announcement went ahead, because such trips take three to four months, sometimes six months to prepare,” he told reporters.

He said the teams currently abroad had left after all formalities were completed. “These were already in the pipeline. The process was done, bookings were made, expenditures were incurred, and political clearance was given by the Centre also,” Sangma said.

Since the PM’s announcement, however, the state has not approved any fresh requests.

“Post Prime Minister’s announcement, any new proposals for trips outside are not being entertained,” he said.

Sangma noted he had taken a firm stand on the issue even without a formal notification. “I had personally put on hold every single trip outside. I am very clear that we had to go as per the Prime Minister’s direction as this is in the larger interest of the nation,” he said. “I have stopped all foreign trips post Prime Minister’s announcement.”

Advertisement

He added that trips cleared earlier were permitted only because the process was already finalized.

“The ones before that have been cleared, so those obviously went through. But after his announcement, any new proposal for any kind of a foreign trip has been put on hold.”

Detailing the preparations for the earlier trips, Sangma said they began well before the PM’s directive. “It had been prepared for the last three months, five months before the Prime Minister’s announcement.

Bookings were made, political clearance was taken from the Government of India, and necessary arrangements with the concerned governments were made,” he said.

“After he gave the announcement and asked the states not to send delegations, we have not cleared anyone. I have received close to about 7-8 new proposals and all of them have been put on hold,” the Chief Minister said.

Share post:

-->
spot_img

Popular

More like this
Related

Leit weng ki bor district ia ki waiar cable ba kyllain ha ki post elektrik ha Shillong

Shillong, Nailut 19 : Kmba bthah da u Myntri...

Ka UDP ka don la ka rynran ban pynbeit jingeh, Ym tip ba thmu pyniasoh BJP ki MLA : Metbah

Shillong, Nailar 19: U President ka UDP u Bah...

Kynnoh ka UDP ia ka KHADC ba leh kiar ia ki Hima hapdeng ka kynrum kynram ka Hima Langrin

Shillong, Nailar 20 : Ka United Democratic Party (UDP)...