SHILLONG, AUG 18: Meghalaya Chief Electoral Officer Dr BDR Tiwari has flagged over 6.5 lakh electors across the state for further verification as part of the ongoing Special Intensive Revision 2026, with hearings now underway at the district level.
In an online review meeting with Deputy Commissioners, EROs and AEROs on Monday, the CEO said notices are being generated and served to voters whose records could not be linked to the 2005 rolls or where discrepancies were found during data mapping.
A total of 6,51,644 such cases have been identified, including 2,22,786 electors with no mapping and 4,28,858 with other mismatches.
The CEO asked district officials to ensure that notices reach voters on time and that hearings are scheduled systematically so that everyone gets a fair chance to appear before the ERO or AERO with supporting documents.
Officials were told to examine each case on merit rather than in bulk, given that the discrepancies range from name and parentage mismatches to unusual age gaps between parents, children, and siblings recorded in the system.
At a separate weekly interaction with representatives of national and state political parties, the CEO reviewed the progress of Booth Level Agents appointed to assist voters. So far 1,810 BLAs are active in the field, with the NPP, BJP and VPP accounting for the largest share.

The CEO urged parties to expand the network further and help electors understand notices and check their details during the claims and objections window.
The meeting also took stock of grievance redressal arrangements. Voters can reach out through the 1950 helpline, alternate mobile numbers, or book a call with their BLO through the ECINET app.
To maintain transparency, lists of claims and objections filed in Forms 6, 7 and 8 are being uploaded regularly on the CEO Meghalaya website. Since the draft roll was published, 4,091 applications have come in seeking inclusion, deletion, correction or shifting.
Electoral Roll Observers are visiting districts to monitor how notices are being served, how hearings are being conducted, and how claims are being disposed of. District officials have been asked to keep proper records and ensure the process moves without delay.
Issuing an advisory, the CEO’s office said voters whose names appear in the draft roll and are successfully mapped with 2005 records need not take any action.
Those who receive a hearing notice must not ignore it and should attend with the required documents.
The office clarified that no name will be deleted without due notice and an opportunity to be heard.
Voters whose names are missing can still apply for inclusion using Form 6 along with a declaration during the claims and objections period that runs till September 4. The final electoral roll will be published on October 7.
The CEO appealed to political parties, traditional institutions, Dorbar Shnongs, Nokmas and civil society groups to help spread awareness and ensure that the revision remains inclusive and transparent, with the goal that no eligible citizen is left out and no ineligible name finds a place in the roll.

