-->

BJP candidate allegedly assaulted as Wokha bye-poll turns tense; curbs imposed in ward No. 8

Date:

Share post:

Wokha, June 16: Tension gripped Nagaland’s Wokha town during polling for the Ward No. 8 (Tsumang B) bye-election on Tuesday after BJP candidate Mhomo Humtsoe and two party observers were allegedly assaulted hours before voting began, prompting authorities to impose restrictions under Section 163 of the Bharatiya Nagarik Suraksha Sanhita (BNSS).

According to Humtsoe, the incident occurred around 4.30 am when he and two BJP observers were on their way to inspect the polling station before the commencement of voting. A group of individuals allegedly confronted and attacked them, leaving the BJP candidate injured.

Humtsoe said the matter was immediately reported to the police and an FIR was lodged. He claimed that one of the accused, identified as Zubemo, had been taken into police custody.

“We are trying to ensure a free, fair and peaceful election, but such incidents are unfortunate and undermine the democratic process,” Humtsoe said.

The alleged assault triggered concerns over law and order in the ward, prompting Wokha Deputy Commissioner and District Magistrate K Mhathung Tsanglao to issue prohibitory orders under Section 163 BNSS.

Citing credible inputs regarding tension and the possibility of a breach of peace, the district administration imposed immediate restrictions across Ward No. 8 for the duration of the election process.

The order prohibits unlawful assembly of five or more persons, carrying of weapons and objects that could be used as weapons, intimidation of voters and election officials, provocative acts or speeches, and obstruction of polling personnel, security forces or voters.

Officials said the restrictions were imposed as a preventive measure to ensure free and fair polling amid heightened tensions.

The administration has directed the Superintendent of Police, Wokha, to strictly enforce the order and warned that violators would face legal action under the Bharatiya Nyaya Sanhita.

The incident also drew a sharp reaction from Nagaland Deputy Chief Minister and Home Minister Yanthungo Patton, who condemned the alleged attack and called for accountability.

“Violence, threats and attempts to create fear have no place in a democracy. Elections must be decided by the will of the people through the ballot, not through intimidation or disorder,” Patton said in a post on X.

He urged political workers and supporters to remain calm and appealed to all parties to uphold the sanctity of the electoral process.

Share post:

-->
spot_img

Popular

More like this
Related

Donkam ka jingsam um ba lah ban shaniah katba nang kiew ka ioh ka kot ka Jylla : Myntri

Shillong, Nailar 19: U Myntri ka tnad Public Health...

Iasoi MoU ka MBMA bad ka Spices Board ka GOI ban kyntiew ia ka jingpynmih jynshoh na Jylla

Shillong, Nailar 19 : Ka Meghalaya Basin Management Agency...

Buh mawnongrim u CM ia ka project tei kynroh ha ka Ophis ka Seng ki Nongshat Nongkhein

Shillong, Nailar 19 : U Myntri Rangbah ka Jylla,...

Kyrpad ka Bangla Sohphie ia ka jingmynjur u Lat ban rah ia ka EPIC sha Sohiong

Shillong, Nailar 19 : Ki nongshongshnong ka shnong Bangla...