SHILLONG, FEB 17: Assembly Speaker Thomas A Sangma on Tuesday ruled out any discussion on the recent Mynsngat-Thangsko mine explosion, saying his decision is final and guided by the rules.
“I have received that this matter is sub judice and is pending in the court of law, and accordingly I have taken this decision based on Rule 57, sub-clause 6. I stand by my decision, and the Speaker’s decision is final,” Sangma said, adding that the chief minister had already made a suo-motu statement on the incident.
Referring to the rule, opposition
VPP legislator Ardent Basaiawmoit of Nongkrem argued that the term “sub judice” is repeatedly used by the executive to avoid debate.
“As a legislature, we have freedom of speech to discuss (matters of concern). Even courts themselves have held that legislative discussion is not barred (just because a matter is pending before them),” he said.
“We know we cannot discuss guilt or innocence, judicial findings — but we can discuss administrative failure and policy lapses so that they can be prevented. The executive should not hide behind this provision of sub judice.”
Basaiawmoit urged that members be allowed to deliberate on the Mynsngat-Thangsko coal mine blast.
“The people of the state want to know what led to the unfortunate incident and the matter surrounding illegal coal mining in the state.”
Leader of Opposition Mukul Sangma backed the demand, calling Basaiawmoit’s submission “very relevant.”
He said the government should petition the court to have the case treated separately, not lumped with a broader PIL.
“This particular instant case, and the responsibility of the authorities to take cognizance… should have been separately tried by the government. Otherwise, any incident of illegality will be clubbed in one PIL, and it would be taken as a modus operandi to create delay to justice.”
The Speaker, however, declined to reopen the issue. “We will not discuss this further, as I have taken my decision,” he said, bringing the matter to a close.

